February and March & July to October 2023
9 days / 8 nights – from £5,250 per person
Tailor made safari
Immerse yourself in two of the most magical ecosystems of Kenya at the most exciting times of the year: the Conservancy of Lewa Downs and the National Reserve of Maasai Mara during the Calving Season or the time of the Great Migration of the wildebeests.
The highlights of this safari are the following:
– live at the rhythm of the African savannah and its large expanses, immersed in the most remarkable ecosystems of Kenya at the period when it has the highest density of animals and it offers the spectacle of animals giving birth to their offspring or of hundreds of thousands of wildebeests crossing the Mara River
– maximise the time with the animals when the conditions are optimal for their observation and photography
– enjoy your accommodation in a comfortable eco-lodge offering an extraordinary panorama with Mount Kenya as a backdrop, and in a small yet comfortable tented camp located in the heart of the reserve on the bank of the Mara River and close to its crossing points
– decide your ideal departure and return dates without having to worry about the constitution of a minimum size group, as this safari and options are available for someone wanting to travel alone, for 2 travellers or a couple, or small group
– take advantage of the opportunity to adapt this itinerary to your exact wishes
A safari to Kenya unlike any other!
“The Great Migration: wildebeests and topis crossing the Mara River” by Gesser Images
Day 1: Arrival at Nairobi
Arrival at Nairobi – Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, meet and greet and transfer to Macushla House for overnight stay. Bed & Breakfast.
Day 2: From Nairobi to the Conservancy of Lewa Downs
Pick up from your hotel at 08:20 and transfer to Wilson Airport for the 10:20 scheduled flight to Lewa Downs.
From your plane you will see the towns and cities recede into the vast beauty of the Kenyan bush. Weather permitting, you will have stunning views over Mount Kenya, a free-standing mountain which is Africa’s second highest peak.
On arrival at the airstrip in the heart of the wilderness you will be met by your guide who will drive you to Lewa Safari Camp. After a cooling drink and lunch at the camp, you will take an afternoon game drive in the Conservancy.
Night at Lewa Safari Camp. Full board and game drives included.
Day 3 and 4: Conservancy of Lewa Downs
These days will be dedicated to wildlife viewing and photography with morning and afternoon game drives in the conservancy.
Night at Lewa Safari Camp. Full board and game drives included.
Day 5: From Lewa Downs Conservancy to the National Reserve of Maasai Mara
After a final goodbye to Lewa Downs, you will board a scheduled morning flight at 09:35 direct to the heart of the Maasai Mara National Reserve where a private safari car will transfer you to Hammerkop Migration Camp.
Lunch at the Camp, afternoon game drive.
Night at Hammerkop Migration Camp. Full board and game drives included.
Day 6 to day 8: Central zone of the Maasai Mara, or Narok County Council area
These days will also be dedicated to wildlife viewing and photography with morning and afternoon game drives in the Reserve.
Overnight at Hammerkop Migration Camp. Full board & game drives included.
As an optional activity, if both participants agree to it, the Principal Investigator of the main cheetah research team operating in the Maasai Mara will be invited to the camp to give a talk and share insights regarding these fascinating cats. This will be the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding about how cheetahs live in the reserve, their specificities with respect to cheetahs living in other regions, etc.
The proceeds from this activity will support the funding of the research project.
Day 9: From Maasai Mara National Reserve to Nairobi
Morning game drive.
After lunch at the camp, transfer to the airstrip for a scheduled flight direct to Nairobi – Wilson Airport with a take-off around 16:00.
At your arrival, you will be met by our representative who will drive you to the restaurant of your choice for the dinner (free) before your transfer to Nairobi – Jomo Kenyatta International Airport for your return flight.
Optional – Karen and Nairobi
This day, proposed as an option, can be organised before or after your safari.
Its objective is to allow you to discover some outstanding achievements in the field of conservation in Kenya and the wealth of a museum exhibiting some archaeological treasures and information that will help you understand the history and culture of the country.
The fees paid to access the sanctuaries contribute to their funding and support these conservation efforts as a consequence.
The accommodation for one additional night is provided by Macushla House (on a Bed & Breakfast basis, dinner (free)), as for the first night of the itinerary of the safari.
Pick up from the hotel at 09:00 for the day’s excursions, starting with the Giraffe Centre.
Drive to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust – Elephant Orphanage for 11am.
Following these close encounters with wildlife, stop for a lunch (free) in Karen before heading to the Nairobi National Museum in the afternoon.
If this optional day takes place before your safari, or if the time of your return flight allows it, return to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust – Elephant Orphanage for a private visit at the time when the baby elephants return from their afternoon in the National Park and go to their “rooms” with their carers who will stay with them for the entire night.
On the basis of 2 participants sharing one double/twin room or tent:
. from £5,250 per person during January and March 2023
. from £6,120 per person during February and July to October 2023
GBP/USD exchange rate used for this quote: 1.10. Subject to availability at the time of booking.
The final budget will be communicated after establishing a personalised quotation that will depend on the exchange rates at the time.
– All transfers to activities and locations
– Game drives in Lewa Downs Conservancy and in Maasai Mara National Reserve in a shared 4×4 vehicle (with roof hatch for game viewing)
– Schedule flights Nairobi Wilson Airport -> Lewa Downs Conservancy -> Masai Mara National Reserve -> Nairobi Wilson Airport. Maximum luggage weight of 15kg per person including hand lugage
– All and Conservancy Fees and Park Fees (subject to possible changes)
– 1 night in Nairobi at Macushla House (guest house 3*** or equivalent). Bed & breakfast only
– 3 nights in Lewa Downs Conservancy at Lewa Safari Lodge. Double/twin room with en-suite bathroom and toilets. Full board accommodation. Day & night game drives with shared vehicle, bush breakfast & sundowner, guided bush walks and limited laundry included.
– 4 nights in the Maasai Mara National Reserve (“Narok County Council” zone) at Hammerkop Migration Camp. Double/twin tent with en-suite bathroom and toilets. Full board accommodation. Game drives with share vehicle included.
– Drinks (water, fruit juices, coffee, tea) at Hammerkop Migration Camp except wines, beer, alcohol, spirits and Champagne
– AAR Flying Doctors Emergency Evacuation insurance
– All local taxes applicable in September 2016 (subject to change)
– Electricity inverters in all vehicles for charging camera & computer batteries
– International flights to Kenya and return
– Travel and other insurances (cancellation, repatriation, luggage, other risks, etc.)
– Visas to be purchased at arrival in Kenya (£30 / person in cash, indicative, subject to changes)
– Meals not mentioned or mentioned as “free” in the itinerary (e.g. light lunch and dinner on last day)
– Drinks (beer, wine, spirits) other than the ones mentioned
– Any extras of personal nature, tips, laundry and drinks not mentioned in the program, etc.
Additional day in the Maasai Mara at Hammerkop Migration Camp: £400 or £530 per person, in January and March or February and July to October 2023 respectively
Day in Karen and Nairobi: £ 400 per person
Talk about cheetahs by principal investigator: £110 per person
Extension of the stay to a resort in Zanzibar: please consult us